Many people like to chew or eat ice cubes. Maybe he came from the office in the scorching heat and started chewing with a piece of ice in his mouth.
Again some people chew ice cubes to reduce dry mouth. To get relief from the heat, many people usually eat ice or drink ice-rich drinks.
But is it right to chew more ice cubes?
According to doctors, this habit of eating ice or drinking iced drinks is called pagophagia in medical terms.
Some babies and pregnant women often like to eat little ice cubes. The habit of drinking iced drinks or ice can be a symptom of many current diseases. It can also damage teeth.
What problems arise if you get into the habit of eating ice cubes?
1. In case of anemia – According to some researchers, iron deficiency in the body increases the desire to eat ice.
People with anemia have lower levels of red blood cells, which are needed to carry oxygen around the body.
Iron deficiency lowers the levels of these cells in people with iron deficiency anemia. Due to this the desire to eat ice cubes will be increased.
2. If you have any stress – Some people chew a piece of ice when they are stressed.
One study found that a woman began to consume more ice under the pressure of her son’s studies. This problem occurs in obsessive-compulsive disorder.
3. Malnutrition – Lack of nutrition in the body can increase the desire to eat ice. Not only this, the desire to drink more sweet or sugary iced drinks can also be intense.
4. Dehydration – Although there is a lack of water in the body, there is a desire to eat ice. Ice sucking gives coolness to the body and quenches thirst.
Moisture is also found in dry lips. Symptoms of dehydration include excessive thirst and dark urine. A person suffering from this problem may also feel dazed.
5. Pregnancy, or Period time – If there is an iron deficiency or anemia during pregnancy, such food habits are formed.
Or this habit is seen during menstruation. Researchers have found that people eat more ice at this time.
How to solve this problem?
Eat occasionally then it ok. If you have a habit of eating ice, you can suffer from mental health problems.
After diagnosis, physicians prescribe medication as well as antidepressants and anti – pagophagia.
The habit of eating ice can create many health problems. Also, this habit can be a symptom of the disease.
Therefore, this disease should be diagnosed and treated at the time of contact with a doctor.