Securing your Netgear WiFi range extender is equally crucial as securing your house. That is why, we suggest our users to change the default password of their Netgear extenders. Bear in mind that changing the default password can secure your device and its WiFi network from unauthorized access. If you are unaware of the process, don’t worry! The process of changing the default login credentials of a Netgear extender is not rocket science.
On the off chance if you don’t know the process of changing the default Netgear extender password, then this post is for you. In this piece of writing, we will provide you step-by-step instructions that’ll help you change the default password of your device with ease. So, without much delay, let’s get started!
How to Change Netgear Extender Password?
Here are the instructions to change the default Netgear extender password. Keep scrolling down!
- First things first, make sure that your Netgear WiFi range extender is receiving a continuous power supply.
- Then, ensure that your main router and the extender are well-connected via Ethernet cable.
- Once you are assured, turn on your PC or laptop and get connected to Netgear_ext SSID.
- Now, head over to the web browser’s address bar and enter http://192.168.1.250 IP carefully without making any typing errors.
- Press the Enter key and you will get redirected to the new extender login page.
- Fill in the default login credentials of your device into the provided fields and click Log In or OK.
- Now, head over to the Settings Menu.
- Locate and click the Administration option.
- Search for the Set Password option. Once found, enter the new password. It is suggested to set a unique and strong password for your Netgear extender. For assistance regarding the same, drop us a line into the comments section.
- After setting a unique and hard-to-crack password for your Netgear WiFi range extender, click Apply to save the changes.
That’s it! In this manner, you will be able to change the default Netgear extender password in a jiffy. Now, you can log in to your extender using http://192.168.1.250 IP and change the default settings of your extender as per your needs by following the on-screen instructions.
Facing issues while changing the default Netgear extender password? Need not to worry! Walk through the instructions highlighted below and know how to get rid of the issue in a fly. Keep reading!
Fixed: Unable to Change the Netgear Extender Default Password
Check Your Internet Connection
One of the common yet biggest reasons why you aren’t able to change the default Netgear extender password is because of poor or slow internet connection. Thus, to get it fixed, contact your service provider. Make sure that there isn’t any issue from your ISP’s end. Besides, check the connection between your Netgear extender and router.
Update the Extender’s Firmware
An outdated firmware running on your Netgear WiFi range extender can also prevent you from changing the default Netgear extender password. In that case, you have to ensure that the firmware of your Netgear extender is up-to-date. All you need to do is, access the new extender setup page using http://192.168.1.250 IP and check if the latest version of firmware on your Netgear device is downloaded and installed. In case not, update your Netgear extender’s firmware by following the on-screen instructions.
Reboot Your Netgear Extender
If the fixes listed above didn’t work in your favor, then only way out to get rid of it is to reboot or power cycle your Netgear extender.
Here are the steps required for power cycling a Netgear extender:
- Disconnect your Netgear extender from router.
- Once you’re done, unplug your extender from the wall socket and wait for a couple of minutes.
- Turn your Netgear extender back on.
- Now, try changing the default password of your Netgear extender again using the instructions highlighted above.
Netgear_ext setup carefully and properly.
Are you able to change the default Netgear extender password after rebooting? Do share your feedback.