How Laptops Cause Toasted Skin Syndrome: If you’ve ever worked on the laptop while balancing the device on the floor, chances are that you’ve felt heat emanating from it.
Toasted skin syndrome occurs when you expose your legs to heat for long times. It’s usually not a serious condition , but it has been associated with cancer.
There is no cure against it but there are ways to treat toasty skin syndrome in the beginning stages. Learn more about this condition and also about its causes and remedies.
What is the term for toasted skin condition?
The skin condition known as toasted, which is also called erythema ab igne Trusted source is a disorder which causes itching, skin discoloration as well as burning.
It happens when your face is subjected to a hot source for a prolonged amount of time however the temperature isn’t hot enough to cause any harm to your skin tags.
If the skin has been exposed moderate heat -temperatures ranging from 109.4 or 116.6 degF (43 to 47 degC) -it could cause a circular, red area of discoloration in the skin area exposed.
The reason for the skin discoloration isn’t well understood It is thought that prolonged exposure to heat results in changes to the elastic fibers of the skin, in addition to changes to the tiny blood vessels located at the surface of your skin.
Researchers have compared the changes with those that happen when you are repeatedly exposed to UV rays either from the sun , or by outdoor tanning booths.
What is the cause of toasted skin?
Skin irritations that are tasted is caused by a myriad of modern-day things however, it’s been around for a longer time than you may believe.
When the disorder was first identified, the triggers that caused irritation of the skin were wood-burning stoves, as well as the use of hot coals.
Most often, coal miners and chefs who endured long exposure to heat sources such as those who had a toasted skin face syndrome.
The causes of modern-day toasty skin syndrome can be a bit different. Common causes of toasted skin include:
- The prolonged usage of laptops on the legs. This is usually noticeable on the left thigh because the laptop’s vents and batteries are to the left of the laptop. With the recent growth of remote working, it’s expected that this trend will increase in frequency.
- Seat heaters in automobiles. There have been cases of people who make use of their heaters on their seats for between 2 and 4 hours at a stretch.
- Hot water bottle or heating pads. While these are useful in relieving abdominal pain but there have been reports of instances of skin irritation when using them for prolonged durations.
- Space heaters. Historically, toasted skin problems were common among elderly people who spent the majority of their time at the space heaters or radiators.
Erythema ab Igne in children
childrentrusted source might be more at chance of developing a skin syndrome called toasted because their skin is typically more sensitive than that of adults.
There have been reports of cases of children who have spent more than an hour a day using laptops positioned on their legs.
Are there any complications associated with burned skin syndrome?
The condition of the skin is generally solved by removing the source of heat responsible for it. But, it is possible to create more severe changes in the cells of your skin that could cause other problems which include cancer.
The kinds of cancers that are connected to toasty skin syndrome are:
Although cancer isn’t the most common result of the that syndrome of toasted skin It’s crucial to speak with your physician about any skin issues you see.
What is the treatment for toasted skin disorders treated?
There isn’t a specific cure for toasty skin however, there are some things you can try to reduce the symptoms. They include:
- Remove the source of heat. This is the best method to avoid future irritations from occurring. After the source of heat has been eliminated, the discoloration will diminish as any irritations go away. If the problem is caused by the laptop, you might want to consider installing an laptop cover over your computer or moving your workstation.
- Topical medication. Topical medications like Retinoids can ease the signs of the skin condition known as toasted. The dermatologist can suggest the best one for your particular circumstance.
These sources of heat can trigger changes in the skin’s fibers and cells, which could result in a coloration on your skin.
Sometimes the skin cell changes could become cancerous. Treatment is to eliminate the source of heat that causes irritation, and applying medications to the skin to reduce the irritation.
If you’re experiencing any changes to your skin, particularly after applying a source of heat you should talk with a doctor to rule out more serious issues.